Click tracking allows you to see which subscribers clicked links in your campaign. When click tracking is enabled for a campaign, MailChimp tracking information is added to each url. When a tracked link is clicked in the campaign, this tracking info redirects the subscriber through MailChimp servers before sending them to the intended web address. That redirect through our server will be logged as a click on your campaign report. Click tracking is enabled for all MailChimp campaigns by default, so whether you're trying to see which subscribers make it to a specific web page or download a hosted file, we can log that subscriber activity as long as click tracking is enabled for your campaign. Click tracking, like open tracking, is an easy way to measure subscriber engagement for your campaigns.
- Click tracking reports
- Click tracking in plain-text campaigns
- Disable click tracking
- Troubleshoot click tracking
Click tracking reports
Click tracking allows you to see how your subscribers interact with your content and whether they make it to the destination urls featured in that campaign. MailChimp reports provide a few different metrics for measuring click activity on a campaign report. Detailed info for campaign click stats can be found on the Report Overview, the Click Performance page, and the Clicked screen in the campaign report. You can also see a quick peek of both open and click stats from the Campaigns, Reports, and Autoresponders pages in your account. Just hover over the open or click percentage next to the View report button for a sent campaign or active autoresponder to see the number of clicks and opens for that campaign. If you're on a tablet, just tap the open or click percentages to see the effect.
Click results on Report Overview
To view the Report Overview for a campaign, just head to the Reports page in your account and click the title of any sent campaign. Clicking the campaign title will bring you to the overview that looks like this:
The click related terms on this page are defined below:
- Click rate: Percentage of total recipients(successful deliveries) who clicked any tracked link in the campaign.
- Clicked: Number of recipients that clicked any tracked link any number of times.
- Clicks per unique opens: Percentage of recipients that registered as an open who also clicked a link in your campaign.
- Total clicks: Total number of times tracked links were clicked by recipients. This count includes multiple clicks from individual recipients.
- Last clicked: The most recent instance of a recipient clicking a tracked link in the campaign.
- Top links clicked: The urls that were clicked the most in the campaign.
Click results on the Links page
The Links page will give you a better idea of exactly how well each tracked url performed in the campaign. To find the LInks page in your report, just click on the Links heading on the report's navigation bar.
The Links page defaults to the Click Performance tab. From this screen you'll be able to find a list of the tracked urls from your campaign along with the number of total and unique clicks for each one. Click the number of total or unique clicks for each URL to list all subscribers who clicked an instance of that link in this campaign. You'll also have the option to download a list of subscribers that clicked each link should you need to by clicking the Export button on this screen.
If you're viewing a report for a Regular or RSS-Driven campaign, we'll populate a click map viewable from the Click Map tab on the Links page for the report. The click map gives you a good visual representation of how each link performed in the campaign. The percentage next to each hyperlink in the click map refers to the how many times this specific link was clicked in this campaign.
Click maps are not available in A/B split, autoresponder, or plain-text campaigns. Hyperlinks in A/B Split and autoresponder campaigns have the potential to change or vary from one version to another, so our system is not able to generate a click map in these cases. We can also only populate a click map for HTML campaigns, so a plain-text click map would not be possible.
Click results on the Clicked page.
The Clicked screen provides a list all recipients that clicked any click-tracked link in the campaign. To find this page just click the Activity menu in the report and choose the Clicked option.
You can download all click activity for this campaign by clicking the Download link from this screen. Clicking each listed subscriber will show you their subscriber activity (opens and clicks) for this campaign.
Click tracking in plain-text campaigns
To track clicks in plain-text emails, we have to replace your URL with one that first points to our servers before redirecting the subscriber to the destination url, just like with click tracking in HTML emails. Since we're working with plain-text there's no way to "hide" the tracking information behind a hyperlink like you can with HTML emails. Because of this, subscribers who receive the plain-text version of your campaigns will see the full url for your click tracked links. In the campaign builder, the plain-text version of your campaign will look something like this before it's sent out to your subscribers:
When your campaign arrives in recipient inboxes the plain-text click tracking will look something like this :
Disable click tracking
For all free accounts and new paid accounts, click tracking must be enabled as a compliance requirement. The ability to turn off click tracking in paid accounts is available once you've sent a few campaigns that don't generate a compliance history. The click tracking controls can be found in the Tracking section on the Setup step of the Campaign Builder.
Troubleshoot click tracking
If you or your subscribers are clicking on a link in your MailChimp campaign but aren't seeing those clicks tracked in your campaign report, take a look through these common causes of that sort of behavior to see if anything sticks out:
- Are you clicking on a link in a test version of your campaign? Only clicks made in a live send of your campaign will be tracked in your campaign reports.
- Was click tracking enabled for your campaign? In order for links in the HTML version of your campaign to be tracked, you'll need to check the track clicks option on the Setup step of the Campaign Builder. To track clicks in the plain-text version of your campaign, check the track plain-text clicks option:
- When creating links on the the Design step of the Campaign Builder for all Regular Ol', A/B Split, Autoresponder, or RSS-Driven Campaigns, make sure to set them up according to these directions. If you type in your URL as regular text, we'd be unable to track it.
- We'll only track clicks on links that begin with http:// or https://. Clicks on email address (mailto:) or anchor links won't be tracked.
- Links that contain a merge tag, including our system merge tags such as *|ARCHIVE|*, *|UPDATE_PROFILE|*, and *|UNSUB|* can't be tracked or counted towards the total number of clicks in your campaign reports. For example:
<a href="*|MERGE3|*">Clickable Text Here.</a>or
<a href="*|ARCHIVE|*">View it in your browser.</a>
- When adding links to the plain-text version of your campaign, make sure to use the full URL, including http://, before your link. We'd be unable to track links with the format www.mailchimp.com. Instead it would need to read http://www.mailchimp.com for us to track it.
- Are the links completely breaking in your campaign? If so, the best thing to do would be to check out our trouble shooting article on this topic.