If your subscribers prefer plain-text emails, MailChimp lets you create plain-text campaigns with no images or text formatting. Plain-text campaigns are useful when you want to send a simple email featuring only your essential content. Below we walk you through creating a plain-text campaign to send to your list.
Create a campaign
- Navigate to the Campaigns page in your account.
- Click the drop down menu next to the Create Campaign button and select Plain-Text Campaign.
- On the Recipients step, select the list that you'd like to send your campaign to.
- To send to your entire list and proceed to the next step, click the Setup step in the progress bar or the Next button in the bottom right-hard corner. To send to a segment of your list, click the name of the list and select the Send to a segment option to add your segmenting conditions. Then click the Setup step in the progress bar or the Next button in the bottom right-hard corner.
- On the Setup step, add your Email subject, From name, and Reply-to email address. Use the options below to select tracking, connect Social Media options, and set advanced options. When you're finished, click the Design step in the progress bar or the Next button in the bottom right-hard corner to proceed to the Plain-Text step.
- On the Plain-Text step enter the content of your email. Use the Preview & Test drop down at the top of the page to Open Popup Preview or Send a Test Email.
- Once you're satisfied with your content, click the Confirm step in the progress bar or the Next button in the bottom right-hard corner.
- Review the pre-delivery checklist on the Confirm step.
- Use the Preview & Test drop down at the top of the page to Open Popup Preview, Send a Test Email, Run Inbox Inspection, or Test with Delivery Doctor. For additional campaign testing tips, click here.
- After testing your campaign, use the Schedule or Send Now buttons at the bottom of the page to send to your list.
The Schedule option lets you select a delivery date and time for the campaign using a calendar picker and drop down menus. The timezone set for your account is also displayed here and can be edited if it's incorrect.
Any errors or missing info will be noted on this screen, click Resolve to navigate directly to the step to fix the error. If you'd like to make any additional changes, click the Edit button to return to a step.
Tips for creating your plain-text campaign
When creating a plain-text campaign, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Use a simple text editor
If you want to compose your campaign content outside of MailChimp, we recommend using a simple plain text editor instead of something like Microsoft Word. Microsoft Word and other rich text editors offer text formatting options that will not work in a plain-text email.
- Make it easy to read
Plain-text emails are harder to read than HTML email. Bullet points can help make your content easier to read and break your content up into chunks that are easier to skim and scan. Here's an example:
==================== This is your headline ==================== Here's some intro copy for my plain-text message. Here's some bullet points: ** Bullet one ** Bullet two ** Bullet three ====================
- URLs look different
To track clicks in plain-text emails, we have to replace your URL with one that redirects your recipients to a page we can monitor before we send them onto your site. The URL tracking link cannot be hidden in an HTML link in plain-text campaigns like you can with HTML emails. Take a look at this article for more information on tracking clicks.
- No opens reported
We track the number of clicks in your plain-text campaign to determine opens. If there are no links in a plain-text campaign, there is not a way to track opens. Take a look at this article for more information on how open tracking works.
This feature is available to users with Author level or higher permissions. Take a look at this article to learn more about the different access levels for a MailChimp account.