There are a few ways to remove inactive subscribers from your MailChimp list. You can find and remove subscribers who haven't opened recent campaigns, or you can segment your list by Member Ratings to remove subscribers who aren't as active or engaged. Below we'll show you how to use both options.
If there's an active autoresponder or a recently-sent campaign for the list, the list can't be deleted for seven (7) days following the last campaign send. Lists are required to remain in the account for seven days following the sending of a campaign or autoresponder to ensure that subscribers have time to unsubscribe and reports can be collected. During this seven day period, the bulk actions to Delete and Move to list will be disabled.
After the seven day period has passed, all bulk options will be re-enabled and can be used on the list.
Remove subscribers who haven't opened any recent campaigns
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the list title to view the subscribers.
- Click on the Segment button to display each of the segmenting options available.
- Set your conditions to Subscriber Activity / did not open / recent campaigns (This will pull in data for the 500 most recently sent campaigns to your list).
- Click the View Segment button to see a list of all subscribers who have not opened a recently sent campaign.
- Click the Selections drop down menu and choose the Select Visible option to select each of the subscribers shown on the page you're viewing currently. Hint: Scroll to the bottom of the page to change the number of subscribers shown if you prefer to select more at once.
- Click the Actions drop down and choose Unsubscribe to unsubscribe everyone in the segment who hasn't opened a recent campaign.
When using opens to determine subscribe activity, it's important to note that a subscriber could open your email but not be recorded as an open in the reports if they don't download images in your campaigns. We'd suggest taking a look at how open tracking works before using this criteria to remove subscribers from your list.
If you're worried about deleting new subscribers accidentally, you can set the condition to "match 'all' of the following": "Subscriber Activity / did not open / recent campaigns" and the condition "Date Added / is before / a specific date. Choose a date that was before your last campaign or maybe a couple of campaigns ago. This will protect any new subscribers that have opted-in or been added to the list manually.
Remove subscribers with low member ratings
The other way to remove inactive members is to view the subscribers who have a two star or less Member Rating.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the list title to view the subscribers for the list.
- Click on the Segment drop down to display each of the the segmenting options available.
- Set your segment to Member Rating / is less than / 2 stars.
You can set the segment to less than 3 stars if you'd like, but remember that a two star rating may indicate a new subscriber and not an inactive subscriber. A 1 star rating is considered a negative rating. See the link above about Member Ratings for details.
- To see just the members who fit the above criteria, click the View Segment button.
- Click the Selections drop down menu and choose the Select Visible option to select all of the subscribers shown on the page you're viewing currently.
Hint: Scroll to the bottom of the page to change the number of subscribers shown if you prefer to select more at once.
- Click the Actions drop down and choose Unsubscribe to unsubscribe the subscribers with a 1 star Member Rating.
This feature is accessible by users with Manager level or higher permissions. Take a look at this article to learn more about the different access levels for a MailChimp account.