Goal is an optional campaign tracking feature available for paid accounts that lets you trigger autoresponders based on subscriber activity from your email campaigns to your website. The Goal integration can also be used to create segments of subscribers allowing you to send targeted campaigns to your subscribers based on their Goal activity. Below we walk you through enabling Goal for your account and how you can use Goal tracking info to engage your subscribers.
- How Goal works
- Goal integration setup
- Add Goal tracking to a campaign
- Goal autoresponder triggers
- Advanced trigger options
- Goal segments
How Goal works
MailChimp stores a web cookie in a subscriber's browser when they click from a Goal-enabled campaign to a webpage with the Goal tracking snippet installed. The cookie assigns a unique id to the subscriber and is present for one year or until that subscriber clears the cookies from their browser. Anytime that subscriber returns to your website, the cookie will be referenced to track their activity on your site without the subscriber having to click from a MailChimp campaign.
If a subscriber visits your site from another browser or device without clicking through from a campaign with Goal enabled, that subscriber's activity will not be tracked by Goal.
Goal integration setup
- Click your profile name to expand the Account Panel and choose Account Settings.
- From the Extras menu, choose Integrations.
- Click Goal to expand the integration options.
- Click the Enable button.
- Copy the Goal tracking code we provide and place it at the bottom of the <head> section of every page on your website you wish to track. If your website uses a template, place the code snippet in the <head> of the template to add Goal tracking to all pages on your site.
Add Goal tracking to a campaign
To add Goal tracking to a campaign, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the Setup step of the Campaign Builder.
- In the Tracking section, check the box for Goal tracking.
- Continue with the campaign building process, then send the campaign to your list.
Goal Autoresponder triggers
- On the Autoresponder step, click the What event will trigger this autoresponder? drop down menu.
- Under the Goals events subheading, choose Subscriber browses to URL.
After setting your Goal triggers, proceed with the Autoresponder building process.
Advanced trigger options
<a href="#" onclick="$mcGoal.processEvent('SignupTestEvent');">Test Event</a>
This would trigger the autoresponder to send to subscribers who landed on subdomains of mydomain.com that start with us. A |?| wildcard delimiter can not trigger an autoresponder if it's left blank. A character must be present for the |?| wildcard to trigger the autresponder.
would include anyone that visited either the http or https version of your site, rather than just a specific one.
Segmenting with Goal activity lets you target subscribers who have completed specific actions on your site. Subscribers can only be targeted if they have previously clicked a link from campaign or autoresponder with Goal tracking enabled and directs to a site where the Goal tracking code snippet is embedded.
URL segments Target subscribers that have navigated to certain URL's on a site. Include the full URL or a portion of a URL to segment by.
Wildcard delimiters can not be used in Goal segmenting. To target subscribers that clicked wildcard links in your campaign, use the contains segmenting option and include the portion of the URL you'd like to target with your segment.
Goal Last Visited This option lets you use Goal activity to target subscribers based on when they last visited a website with your Goal tracking script installed.
A Goal autoresponder will send to a subscriber only once. If the subscriber meets the autoresponder sending conditions after the first time, they are not sent another autoresponder.
Goal autoresponders only trigger for subscribers who meet the sending conditions after the autoresponder is activated and will not send to subscribers who met the sending conditions before the autoresponder was activated.