MailChimp makes it easy to design exceptional email campaigns, share them on social networks, manage your list of subscribers, and track your results. This guide will walk you through creating and launching your first campaign, as well as offer tips for managing your list, viewing your reports, and making sure your newsletters get into the right hands.
- MailChimp system requirements
- Create a campaign
- Campaign content
- Create and import your list
- Create and customize your signup forms
- MailChimp reports
- Additional resources
MailChimp system requirements
MailChimp is a web-based application that works directly in your favorite browser. There's no need to download or install any software to your computer in order to use MailChimp. Choose from any of the following compatible browsers:
Since you'll be working in a web browser while using MailChimp, there are a just a few browser-related settings you'll need to enable before you get started.
- You'll need to enable cookies in your browser so all elements of our application to work as expected.
- The minimum screen resolution should be set to 1024 x 768 for optimal viewing. If you're using a Netbook, try setting the resolution to 1200 x 800 if you're seeing things out of place in the application.
- The latest version of Flash is required to view any of the videos on our site.
Create a campaign
You can use our start from scratch editor or choose from dozens of predesigned templates to craft a great looking email to send to your subscribers. If you have a design already created you have the option to upload the HTML file and use it instead.
- What's the difference between a template and a campaign?
- How do I create a new campaign using MailChimp's Campaign Builder?
- How do I create a template?
- Can I use my own design instead of using your Templates?
Types of campaigns
You can send a campaign to your entire list, or divide your list into groups and segment by interest, location, or activity. We offer different types of campaigns to target different audiences or subscriber groups.
- How do I create a campaign with the Drag & Drop editor?
- What is an RSS-Driven campaign and how do I set one up?
- How do I create an A/B split campaign?
- How can I create a plain text email?
- How do I create an autoresponder?
Once you've created your campaign using MailChimp's Campaign Builder you can choose a template design and add your own content! The following links walk you through how to add specific elements to customize the look of your email.
- Tips for editing content
- How do I upload an image?
- How do I create a link in my campaign?
- Getting Started with Merge Tags
Create and import your list
Creating and importing a list into your MailChimp account allows you to send a campaign to opted in subscribers and contacts. If you ever need to send to specific portions of your list be sure to read all about our powerful segmentation options and look into setting up groups for your list.
- How do I create a new list?
- How do I import my list?
- Can I send to a segment of my list?
- What are Groups and how can I add them to my list?
- Do I have to re-opt in my list when I switch ESPs?
- Having problems uploading or importing your list?
Create and customize your signup formsVideo: Working with Signup Forms & Response Emails
Once you've created a list in MailChimp, we automatically generate a series of forms and emails for you. You can also use the tools on the Create Forms page to customize the Unsubscribe sequence, Update Profile sequence, and other list forms and emails that make up our double opt-in process.
- How can I create and customize signup forms and response emails for my list?
- Tips for Customizing Your Signup Forms
- Can you translate my signup forms and response emails?
- How do I share my signup form?
MailChimp's Campaign and Autoresponder reports analyze clicks, opens, your subscribers' social activity, Ecommerce data, and more! The articles below walk you through where to find your Campaign and Autoresponder reports as well as highlight the available reporting features.
- What kind of reports are available in MailChimp?
- What do the delivery numbers in my reports tab mean?
- How does open tracking work?
- How do I improve my open or click rate?
MailChimp handles all questions and support online through email, live chat, Twitter, and our Feedback form. If you send us your questions and comments through one of these options, along with your username, we'll respond or get them in front of someone who can best assist you.
Our live tech support chat is available Monday through Friday from 8 am - 6 pm EST at http://kb.mailchimp.com/chat.
If you're looking for some one on one help with your email marketing you can check out our Experts directory to find exactly the kind of help you need.