This feature requires Manager user level or higher.
Sharing links to your sent campaigns is a great way to promote your content and get the most out of your email marketing. Now you can customize your shareable campaign URLs so people know where they're headed when they click your link.
In this article, you'll learn how to customize the URLs for your campaign pages.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Make sure you’re familiar with campaign pages.
- All users can customize their campaign URLs. Paid users can also include their their verified domain.
- We generate your campaign URLs when you send your campaign. You can preview the URL in the Campaign Builder, but it won't be activated until you send.
- Sent campaign URLs can be edited, but only twice.
This feature is currently part of an internal release. The processes documented in this article reflect the final intended user workflow, and may not reflect what's seen in the app during the internal release.
About Campaign URLs
A campaign page is the browser-based version of a sent campaign and parts of the URL for a sent campaign are customizable.
All campaign URLs include the domain mailchi.mp.com, and a URL path that's split into two parts. The first is an identifier unique to your list, and the second points to a specific sent campaign. The second part of the campaign URL defaults to your email subject line.
Here's the anatomy of a campaign URL:
Your customization options depend on your account type.
For free accounts, the identifier part of the campaign URL is an alpha-numeric string that's randomly generated when the campaign is sent. This can't be customized unless you upgrade to a paid account.
All MailChimp users can customize the email subject line portion of their campaign page URLs, regardless of their account type, on the
Setup step of the Campaign Builder. By default, we'll use the subject line for your email for this part of the URL.
Here's an example of what a campaign URL could look like for a free account:
In addition to the subject line part of the URL, paid users can customize campaign URLs with a verified domain. This helps promote your brand and make your URLs more recognizable to your audience when you share them online.
Customizing your URLs with a verified domain is done on a per-list basis. You'll be prompted to do this when you create a new list, or you can update the URLs for an existing list in the list settings or on the Setup step of the Campaign Builder.
Here's an example of what a campaign URL might look like when it's customized with a verified domain:
Stay Compliant with Campaign URLs
Add a Verified Domain to Campaign URLs
We’ll ask you to customize your campaign URLs with a verified domain when you create a new list in your account.
To update the campaign URLs for an existing list, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with, and choose
- Click List name & defaults.
Campaign page settings, click the drop-down menu and choose the verified domain you want to use.
Save List And Campaign Defaults.
All set! Now when you send to your list, your shareable campaign URLs will include your verified domain name.
Customize Campaign Page URLs
By default, the campaign URLs include your campaign subject line, but you can customize this part of the URL to be whatever you'd like.
There are two ways to customize the subject line part of a campaign URL:
To customize the campaign URL from the Campaign Builder, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Setup step of the Campaign Builder.
- Under Campaign page URL, click Edit.
- In the pop-up modal, edit the email subject line part of the campaign URL. If you’re a paid user, you can also choose from your verified domains to update the campaign URLs for every campaign you send to your list.
- Click Save.
- Continue through the Campaign Builder.
All set! Now your recipients will see your customized URL when they view your campaign in a web browser.
If you've already sent your campaign, you can customize the existing campaign URL from the campaign report. Don't worry, this won't affect campaign statistics or link functionality if you've already shared the original campaign URL. Anyone who clicks the old URL will be redirected to your new, customized URL.
This functionality is only available for campaigns sent after the feature rollout date: [release date].
To customize the subject line portion of a sent campaign URL, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Reports page.
- Click the drop-down menu for the report you want to work with, and choose
- Click the Details tab.
Edit next to the
- Type the new URL in the field, and click Save.
Awesome job! Now your new campaign URL is active and ready for you to share around the web.