This feature requires Author user level or higher and is part of paid features.
After you connect your online store to MailChimp, we’ll track your subscribers’ purchases so you can recommend products based on their purchase activity. Insert a Product Recommendation content block or use merge tags in any campaign or Automation workflow to encourage repeat purchases at your online store.
In this article, you'll learn how to include Product Recommendations in a campaign.
Before You Start
- The Product Recommendations feature is available for paid users who have API 3.0 e-commerce data in their account. This includes data from custom API 3.0 integrations, as well as MailChimp for Shopify, MailChimp for Magento, and MailChimp for BigCommerce.
- You’ll need to connect your store with MailChimp and turn on e-commerce link tracking before we can generate recommendations for your subscribers.
- To generate recommendations, your connected store must meet certain purchase data requirements. If a store doesn’t have enough purchase data, or a subscriber hasn’t made a purchase yet, we’ll display your store’s top sellers instead. To learn more, take a look at our About Product Recommendations article.
- Product Recommendation merge tags are recommended for users familiar with custom coding. Contact your developer, or hire a MailChimp Expert if you need assistance.
Insert a Product Recommendation Content Block
The simplest way to recommend products to your subscribers is to insert a Product Recommendation content block in your campaign. These flexible blocks can pull a product’s title, price, and image into your campaign, and can be combined to promote up to 10 products. To encourage subscribers to make a purchase, include a button in your block that links to each product’s page in your online store.
Use Product Recommendations Merge Tags
If you coded your own custom template or use one of our classic templates, you can insert merge tags to recommend products to your subscribers. You’ll add opening and closing Product Recommendation tags, and place additional Product Recommendation item tags in between those tags to tell MailChimp what content to display in the recipient’s campaign.
To use Product Recommendation merge tags, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Design step of the Campaign Builder.
In your campaign layout, click the text content block where you want to add your product recommendations.
Copy and paste the following merge tag into the editing pane.
Replace the “x” variables in your opening Product Recommendation merge tag to define the products to display.
$store _id: Identifies your connected store, and is set by the API. It defaults to the earliest connected store. This variable is optional. Include it if you have multiple stores connected to your list and want to change the default ID. You can retrieve store IDs via our API.
$total: Indicates how many products to display.
$start_index: Determines which product to begin with from your available recommendations.
- Type or paste in Product Recommendation item merge tags to specify the content you want to include for each product, like product title, description, or image URL.
At the end of the item tags, type or paste the closing tag.
- Click Save & Close.
- Product images and titles are pulled directly from your online store, and can sometimes be too large or too small for your campaign template. We recommend that you thoroughly preview and test your merge tags to ensure that they display as expected.
- Image URL and Product URL merge tags do not generate a product image or clickable link. They only present the URL text. You can combine these tags to create a clickable image in your campaign. Open the source code and input an <a> tag. Place the *|PRODUCT:URL|* merge tag in the “href” value and use the *|PRODUCT:IMAGE_URL|* merge tag in the “src” value.