Any piece of text in your MailChimp campaign can be turned into a link using the content editor toolbar or adding manual code to the source. You can also turn images into a link. Links in a campaign can be tracked allowing you to see which subscribers clicked links in your campaign.
Below, we walk you through how to create and style text links in your campaign.
In this article:
Create a link
- Navigate to the Design step of the Campaign Builder.
- Click a text content block to edit it.
- Add the text you want to link and highlight it.
- Click the link button in the content block's toolbar.
- In the Insert/Edit Link modal, select the link type from the drop-down menu.
- Type your link in the
Web Address (URL) field.
- Click the Insert button to return to the Content Editor.
The editor also supports keyboard shortcuts for adding links. Highlight your link text and use CMD+K or CMD+L (Mac) or CTRL+K or or CTRL+L (PC) to create a new link.
Types of links
Links can be created to direct your subscribers to a few different locations or options. Use the drop-down menu in the Insert/Edit Link modal to choose what you want to link in your campaign.
- Web Address Create a link to any website. The URL must be an absolute link that contains http://. If you want to link text with a phone number, type tel:yournumber into the Web Address (URL) field. Linked telephone number may not work on every phone, so make sure to test your campaign before sending.
- Email Address Create a mailto link that allows you to set an email address to receive responses when subscribers click. If you want to specify a subject line and content for the email created when someone clicks the link, fill in the Message Subject and Message Body fields.
- Anchor Link Using anchor links you can easily create a table of contents in your campaign.
- File Any files uploaded to MailChimp can be linked to in a campaign to allow subscribers to download them.
- Gather You can link to a Gather event you create to allow subscribers to keep up to date with event details.
You can also use merge tags to create a link. When you set up your link, simply type or paste the merge tag into the Web Address (URL) field rather than a URL. When creating links such the as Forward to a Friend option, use the *|FORWARD|* merge tag to automatically create a link to that form.
When you create a MailChimp campaign, you can use the style editor to apply styles to your links. The Text Color, Font Weight, and Text Decoration can be set individually for different sections of the campaign.
In the Insert/Edit Link modal, you can click the Advanced Options drop-down link to set additional styling and behavior for your links. You can add a Title Attribute, set the CSS Class, and set the link to Open in a new window.
The Title Attribute displays text when a recipient hovers over a link. The CSS Class allows you to define a class for the link, which will require adding a CSS style section either to the template code or within the source code for a Text content block.
After adding the additional options, click the Insert button to apply those changes.
- Merge tag links, such as *|ARCHIVE|* or *|FORWARD|*, cannot be tracked in click reports.
- Because mailto: links go to an email program instead of a web page, they can't be tracked as "clicks" in your campaign reports.
- When you create a link in your campaign, we support mailto, http, and https protocols. We don't support FTP links.
|Was this article helpful?||
|What can we do to improve your experience with articles like this?|
At this time, we are unable to reply to any responses, but we'll use this information to keep the site up-to-date.