This feature requires Author user level or higher.
We strongly recommend you preview and test your campaigns before you send to your subscribers. When you send a test email or preview your campaign, you might notice the merge tags you used have been replaced with unexpected text, such as << Test First Name >> and << Test Last Name >>.
In this article, you'll learn why these tags display differently when you're testing, and how you can preview real subscriber information.
About Campaign Tests and Merge Tags
If merge tags are working correctly, you’ll see placeholder text when you test your campaign: *|FNAME|* AND *|LNAME|* merge tags will display as <<Test First Name>> and <<Test Last Name>>. When you send the campaign, the placeholders will be replaced with live data from your list.
In case you don’t have data for a subscriber on your list, we recommend you set defaults for your merge tags. That way, the default value you set will display for subscribers who don’t have any data for that field.
Preview Subscriber Information
To preview real subscriber information in the Campaign Builder, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Design step of the Campaign Builder.
- Click the
Preview and Test drop-down menu and choose
Enter Preview Mode.
Toggle the slider to the green checkmark to Enable live merge tag info.
- Use the left and right arrows to move through your list's subscribers.
Send a Campaign to a Test List
To send a campaign to a test list, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list with the fields you want to test with and choose Replicate list.
- In the pop-up, type in the name for your test list and click
- Add yourself and any other test subscribers to your test list. To see how the campaign appears with or without subscriber information for a certain field, fill out the various fields for your list for some people and leave them blank for others.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page in your account.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the campaign you're working with and select
Replicate to create a copy of the campaign.
You can also create a new campaign for testing.
- Navigate to the Recipients step of the Campaign Builder and select your test list.
- Make any additional changes to the design of your campaign and then send the campaign to your test list from the Confirm step of the Campaign Builder. Each recipient will receive a live version of the test campaign, with the merge data filled in so you can preview how it will look for a real recipient.