This feature requires Manager user level or higher.
MailChimp for Shopify helps you keep in touch with your customers who have purchased a product from your Shopify store.
MailChimp for Shopify connects MailChimp with your Shopify account to automatically add customers to your MailChimp list, sync subscribers across both platforms, and create a campaign from product or collection information. And if you use our eCommerce360 plugin, you’ll be able to track sales and measure the ROI generated by your email campaigns.
In this article, you’ll learn how to install MailChimp for Shopify, view your Shopify customers in MailChimp, and send an email from Shopify.
Before You Start
- You can sync multiple stores to MailChimp, but each should be synced to its own list, so you get the most out of our e-commerce segmenting tools.
- You have the option to connect your Shopify store to more than one MailChimp account.
- Currently, product category data is not synced, so you won't see your Shopify product categories if you want to segment by product category.
- To avoid potential spam complaints, only sync your customers who opt-in to receive marketing emails from you to your MailChimp list. To check this setting, navigate to the Settings page in your Shopify account, and click Checkout. In the Order processing section, make sure Customer does not agree to receive promotional emails by default is chosen.
Install MailChimp for Shopify
- Navigate to shopify.mailchimpapp.com.
- Click Sign In With Your MailChimp Credentials.
- Input your MailChimp username and password and click Log In.
- Click Add Store
- Input your Shopify store URL, and click Add Store.
- On the Install MailChimp for Shopify
page, review the information and click Install MailChimp for Shopify.
- Select a list from the Select a list to sync drop-down menu, and click Start Syncing.
If you want to sync other Shopify stores to your account, click Add Store . Sync each Shopify store with its own list in your MailChimp account, so you get the most out of our e-commerce segmenting tools.
After you’re connected, MailChimp for Shopify will sync your existing orders and customers from Shopify with your MailChimp account.
Products are synced to your MailChimp account after at least one person purchases the item and indicates that they want to receive marketing emails.
The initial syncing process may take a few minutes. After it's completed, everything will stay up to date in real time.
View Shopify Customers in MailChimp
With MailChimp for Shopify connected, you can view e-commerce data for your campaigns and individual subscribers. Create segments that target subscribers based on data like product purchased, total number of orders, or purchase date. Additionally, all subscribers added through MailChimp for Shopify have a signup source of MailChimp for Shopify, so you can do things like create multi-part segments.
Send an Email from Shopify
Select a product or collection in your Shopify account, and automatically create a MailChimp campaign that contains the product images and information. To send an email from your Shopify account, follow these steps.
- Log in to your Shopify account.
- Select the Product or Collections option from the navigation panel.
- Select the product or collection you want to include in your campaign.
- Click the three dots at the top of the page, and click Email using MailChimp.
- Select one of three template layouts to use for your campaign, and click Send to MailChimp.
- You'll be taken to the Design step of the Campaign Builder. Continue through the Campaign Builder.
By default, the list that is connected to your Shopify store is chosen on the Recipients step, and the subject line for the campaign contains the product or collection name. If you need to, navigate to the Recipients or Setup step in the Campaign Builder to change this information.
Disconnect MailChimp for Shopify
- Navigate to shopify.mailchimpapp.com.
- Click Delete next to any store you want to disconnect. You'll be redirected to the Apps page in your Shopify account.
- In the Installed Apps section, click the three dots for the MailChimp for Shopify application and then click Remove this app.
If you want to completely disconnect the integration, delete all of your connected stores. Then, follow these steps to remove the integration within your MailChimp account.
- Click your
profile name, and choose
- Click Extras in the navigation bar and choose API keys.
- In the Authorized applications section, click the X next to MailChimp for Shopify.
About Purchase Data
We recently upgraded MailChimp for Shopify with a powerful new sync process. If you previously connected an e-commerce integration to a list that’s also connected to Shopify, you’ll notice a change in subscriber profile purchase data.
On the E-commerce tab of subscriber profiles, you’ll see two sets of purchase information. Shopify purchase data will appear first, and purchase information from your other e-commerce integrations will appear below it. We keep other integration purchase information in your list for your records, but you won’t be able to create segments from this data.
Two e-commerce segmentation options are no longer available for lists integrated with Shopify: Product (Total # Ordered) and Product (Average # Per Order).