Users and agencies who manage multiple brands or assets often keep multiple lists in MailChimp, but we generally recommend that most users manage a single, combined list. When you combine lists, you reduce the cost of your Monthly Plan, because it removes duplicate subscribers across different lists. To distinguish subscribers from different lists, use groups in your combined list.
Below, you'll learn how to back up your existing lists, match fields and combine lists, remove unsubscribed and cleaned addresses, and delete your old lists.
Before You Combine Lists
Back Up Your Lists
List actions cannot be undone, so be sure to back up your existing lists before you do anything else. In case the combined list doesn't turn out as expected, you'll have copies of your old lists to fall back on.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the list you want to export.
Export List to export active subscribers.
- When the export is complete, click
Export as CSV.
- To export unsubscribed addresses, click the
Subscribed drop-down menu and choose
Unsubscribed. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to export those addresses.
- To export unsubscribed addresses, click the Subscribed drop-down menu and choose Cleaned. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to export those addresses.
Repeat these steps for each of the lists you're working with, so you have a CSV file of each list's subscribed, unsubscribed, and cleaned addresses. If you're using an existing list as your master list, be sure to also export that list for backup.
Create a Master List
After you back up your lists, create a master list where you'll combine your subscribers. It's up to you whether you create a new list or choose an existing list for this purpose. If you use an existing list, rename it to indicate its master status.
Match Field Labels
The information stored in the list you're moving your subscribers from will overwrite existing data in the list you're adding to.
Before you combine, you'll match the field labels between your old lists and your master list, so that the combined list field data is mapped to the correct label. Merge tags and merge field numbers don't need to match. If matching labels is difficult with your lists, consider combining lists by CSV.
- Lists must be retained for seven days after a campaign or automation email is sent. If you've recently sent to one of your lists, you won't be able to combine it until seven days later.
- The independent master list you create when you combine lists is intended to replace your existing lists. It doesn't connect your master lists to existing lists, so changes made to your old list will not sync with your master list.
- If you plan to add subscribers from certain lists into corresponding groups in your master list, be sure to set up those groups before you begin combining lists.
Ways to Combine Lists
Below, you'll learn how to use these options.
- From the
Lists page, click the drop-down menu for the list you want to add to your master list and choose
- Use the drop-down menu to choose your master list and check any groups you want to add these subscribers to, if you've
set up groups. Then, click
CONFIRM into the pop-up modal, and click
Repeat this process for each of the lists you want to combine with your master list.
When you've combined all of your lists, remove your cleaned and unsubscribed addresses.
- Navigate to the Lists page, click the drop-down menu for your master list, and select Import.
Import from a CSV or TXT File and browse to choose a list file you exported.
- Check the box for the groups you want to add these subscribers to, if you have those set up.
- Check Auto-update my existing list. If a subscriber is already on your master list, we'll update their info to include the group you selected.
Upload List to begin importing the file.
- You'll be prompted to match your fields. Make sure your fields match across lists.
- Click Done.
- Repeat this for each list you combine into your master list. When you're done, remove your cleaned and unsubscribed addresses.
Remove Unsubscribed and Cleaned Addresses
If you had subscribers on multiple lists, you might have various information for them. To help keep your list healthy and avoid emailing bounced and unsubscribed addresses, remove the unsubscribed and cleaned addresses for each list you combined.
- Open the unsubscribed or cleaned CSV file on your computer using a spreadsheet program.
- From the Lists page, click the drop-down menu for your master list and choose Manage subscribers.
- Copy the email addresses from the open CSV file, and paste them into the email addresses field on the
Unsubscribe People screen, then click
Use this bulk unsubscribe feature for all of the cleaned and unsubscribed addresses for each list you combined to keep your list healthy.
Delete Your Old Lists
After you combine lists and unsubscribe old addresses, you can delete your old lists from your account. Save all your exported CSV files in case you need your original lists again later.
When you delete lists, you also deletes list stats. If you want to combine your lists but don't want to delete your list stats, you could remove your subscribers from your old lists, but leave the list intact.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Check the box next to the lists you want to delete.