MailChimp's marketing automation helps you streamline your communications and makes sure your contacts get the right emails at the right time. Choose from pre-set automations with defined triggers and timelines, or fully customize your messages.
In this article, you'll learn how to create an automation.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Certain automations are built slightly differently. Get step-by-step instructions for these: order notifications, product retargeting, and abandoned cart emails.
- The from email address you specify for your automation is used on each email in the series. To change the from email address on an individual email, manually update the email's settings in the automation.
- Before you choose an automation type, be sure the default trigger and delay settings fit your needs.
- Automation activity triggers aren't available for the first email in a series.
Create an Automation
To create a new automation, follow these steps./p>
Navigate to the Campaigns page.
Click Create Campaign.
In the pop-up modal, click Create an Email.
Click a category tab to find and choose the automation you want to use.Can't find what you need? Click Custom to create something from scratch.
Enter a campaign name, and click the drop-down menu to choose a list.
For each automation type, we'll automatically add a preset number of emails to the automation for you. In the Emails step of the Automation Builder, you'll add, remove, or reorder the emails in your automation, and design their content. You can also edit each individual email's settings.
Design an Email
- On the
Setup step, input names for
Name your email,
From email address, and your default
Google Analytics title.
To display the numbered position of the email in the automation, use Automation merge tags in your subject line.
- Click Next.
- On the Template step, choose your template.
- On the Design step, design your email.
- Be sure to test each of your emails using our preview and test tools, or by sending yourself a test email.
- Click Save and Return to Workflow, to return to your automation timeline.
To change the trigger, delay, schedule, segment, or activity settings, or to reorder emails in your automation, edit the automation on the Emails step of the Automation Builder.
Confirm and Start
Now that you've designed your emails, configured your workflow settings, and tested everything, it's time to review and start your automation!
- On the
Confirm step, review the checklist provided and click
Edit to make any changes to your automation.
- When you're ready, click
Start Workflow to start sending your automation.
Nicely done. We'll take care of everything else, so you can get back to work.
After you start an automation, you can manually add subscribers to the automation who don't meet your conditions.
- For list activity automations, edit the trigger on any email to choose whether to trigger the automation when subscribers are imported.