Mobile devices are an increasingly popular way for your contacts to view your email campaigns. This means it's now more important than ever to design with mobile devices in mind. To be sure your campaigns will look great on any device, take advantage of MailChimp's mobile styles, and preview and test before you send.
In this article, you'll learn how customize, preview, and test your email campaign's appearance on a mobile device.
Edit Mobile Styles
MailChimp's drag-and-drop templates offer customizable mobile styles that take effect when we detect someone is reading the email on their phone or tablet. The default styles include font size and line height settings that work well on a smaller screen. You can make additional changes to these at any time.
If you're using a custom coded template, you'll have to update your mobile styles manually.
To edit mobile styles in a drag-and-drop template, follow these steps.
- In the
Content section of the Campaign Builder, click
- On the
Design step, Click the
- Use the drop-down menus and other fields to edit the mobile styles as needed, and click Save.
Preview and test your email campaign on a mobile device to view the changes.
Images inside Text content blocks may stretch when viewed on a mobile device, because responsive templates don't constrain those images. To keep your images from stretching, use an Image content block. If you want to place text and an image in the same block, try the Image Card or the Image + Caption block.
To learn more, check out our article about campaign behavior on mobile.
Preview Mobile Design
MailChimp's Preview Mode represents how your styles typically appear on common mobile devices. Depending on the mobile device and application your contact uses to view email, the actual appearance may vary.
To see how your campaign might look on a mobile device, follow these steps.
- In the Content section of the campaign Builder, click Edit Design.
- On the Design step, click the Preview and Test drop-down menu and choose Enter Preview Mode.
- Click the
Test Mobile Campaigns
To view your draft campaign on your mobile device, you can push the campaign to the MailChimp app. Or, if you or your colleagues have several different types of mobile devices, create and send to a mobile test list of all your addresses.
If you don't have a variety of devices to test with, try Inbox Preview. To learn more, check out our article on how to test with inbox preview.
Push to Mobile
To streamline your testing, you can preview your campaigns on the MailChimp mobile app. After you set it up on your devices, you can push a campaign directly to the app so you can see how it appears.
To push a campaign from your computer to your mobile device, follow these steps.
- In the Content section of the Campaign Builder, click Edit Design.
- On the Design step, click the Preview and Test drop-down menu and choose Push to mobile.
- In the
Push to MailChimp's Mobile App pop-up modal, click
Push to Mobile.
4. On your mobile device, open the preview from the push notification you recieve.
If you receive the push notification and dismiss it, you'll need to repeat these steps to view your campaign.
Test with a List
To test with a list, you'll need to create a mobile test list, send to it, and then review your campaign across devices.
Create a Test List
First, you'll replicate an existing list, but only the list settings and forms will be copied. No contact data is moved.
To create a mobile test list, follow these steps
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with, and choose
- Input a new list name, and click
- Add your email address or your colleague's email addresses as the recipients.
Send Your Campaign
Now, you can use that list to send a test campaign. To send the test, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click the drop-down menu of the campaign you want to test, and choose
Your replicated campaign will open to the Campaign Builder and display the name of the original campaign, followed by (copy ##). To change the name, click Edit name.
- In the To section, click Edit Recipients.
- In the List drop-down, choose your new test list and click Save.
- Make any other changes you need and click Send.
- In the Prepare for launch pop-up modal, click Send Now.
Want to learn more about mobile devices and your email campaigns? Check out our research on the impact of mobile use on email engagement.
To learn more about testing your email campaigns, check out our article on email campaign testing tips.