MailChimp offers two ways to provide a file to your contacts when they subscribe to your email campaigns. Since we don't allow attachments, we give you the option to upload your report, MP3, video, or other file type directly to our servers. We host the files for you, so you can link to the files for download in your campaign.
In this article, you'll learn about two ways to send a file to new subscribers.
Add Your File to the Final Welcome Email
After someone opts in to receive your email campaigns, you can send them a final welcome email to confirm their subscription and share an exclusive offer or file.
To add a file to your final welcome email, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Select the drop-down menu for your list, and click
- Select General forms to open up the Form Builder.
- Select the
Final welcome email from the
Forms and response emails drop-down menu near the top of the page.
- On the
Build it tab, click inside the dashed lines to open the editor.
- Type some text, like "Download your free song," and highlight it. Then, click the Link icon.
- In the Insert or Edit Link modal, choose File from the drop-down menu.
- Choose or upload your file, and click Insert.
- When your content is how you want, click Save & Close to return to the Form Builder.
To test the file you added to the final welcome email, you'll have to go through the double-opt in process. Select Signup form from the Forms and response emails drop-down menu to find your signup form URL.
Add Your File to a Welcome Automation
A welcome message automation is a great way to greet new subscribers and help them get to know you.
To use a welcome message automation to send a file to new subscribers, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
Create an Email.
- Click Welcome new subscribers.
- Enter your campaign name and choose a list.
- When you get to the emails step, click
Design Email to edit the default email in your welcome message automation.
- On the Design step, add your content and follow the steps to create a link to your file.
- Click Save and Continue.
- Finish configuring your automation and click Start Workflow.
When the next person signs up on your list, they'll receive your automated email or email series with linked files to download.
Automation settings are directly linked to the list you are sending to. Once you click Start Workflow, you won't be able to edit the list, automation type, or email order. You can still edit content, however. To make changes to uneditable portions of an automation, replicate your automation and reconfigure the new copy.