The Twitter integration allows you to auto-tweet your campaigns directly to Twitter and pull information from your Twitter profile into campaigns with merge tags.
Each list can be associated with a different Twitter account, or you can set up a default Twitter account that can be used for all lists.
In this article, you'll learn how to connect the Twitter integration and use our auto-tweet feature.
Connect to a Twitter Account
- Click your profile name to expand the Account Panel and choose
- Click the
- Click Twitter to open the Twitter integration settings.
- Click the
List to connect drop-down menu and select
Account Default. The Twitter account you set as the
Account Default is used for all lists that don't have an individual Twitter account tied to them.
- Click the Connect button. If you're not already logged in to Twitter, you're prompted to log in.
Authorize App to give MailChimp access to the Twitter account.
You'll be redirected to MailChimp and will see a success message.
From the List to connect drop-down menu, you can set a different Twitter account for individual lists in your MailChimp account. After the integration is set up, use Twitter merge tags to pull information from your Twitter account into MailChimp campaigns.
Change or Disconnect Twitter Account
If you need to change or disconnect the Twitter account set as the account default or for a specific list, follow the steps below.
- Click your profile name to expand the Account Panel, and choose Account.
- Click the Integrations option.
- Click the Twitter option to open the Twitter integration settings.
- Choose a list to configure the list-specific Twitter account, or
Account Default to work with the default Twitter account your MailChimp account uses.
- Click the Disconnect button to break the connection.
From here, just follow the integration steps above to set a new Twitter account for the list or set as the Account Default.
Auto-tweet an Email Campaign
After integrating your Twitter account, you have the option to auto-tweet your new email campaign when you send it.
To set up auto-tweet for your campaign, follow these steps.
Navigate to the Share your campaign section of the Campaign Builder.
Toggle the Twitter slider to a green checkmark.
In the field provided, edit the message you want to include with your tweet.
Do not delete the *|URL|* merge tag. This merge tag populates with the campaign URL for your sent campaign.
Click Save Message.
Continue building your campaign.
To further customize how your message will appear on Twitter, enable Social Cards. After the campaign is sent, we'll tweet an automatic message from your Twitter account containing the your message and your campaign URL. If you have customized Social Cards to display a thumbnail image for your campaign, it will appear below the auto-tweet text.
- Need to stop an auto-tweet for a sent campaign? You can revoke MailChimp's access in your Twitter account, which might prevent the tweet from going live.
- When you replicate a campaign that has auto-tweet turned on, that setting will be carried over to the replicated campaign.
- Subject lines with merge tags won't display correctly on Twitter. If you plan to share your campaign on Twitter, we recommend you avoid using merge tags in your subject line.
- Your campaign didn't auto-tweet.
Make sure the Twitter integration is set up currently for your MailChimp account. Navigate to the Integrations page in your account to check the Twitter integration settings. You can still share your campaign via Twitter even if the campaign didn't auto-tweet successfully. Just grab the campaign page URL for your sent campaign, then share on Twitter.
- Your Twitter account isn't an option.
Navigate to the Integrations page, expand the Twitter integration options, and make sure the Twitter account you want to Tweet the campaign from has been integrated with your MailChimp account or the specific list you're sending the campaign to. After you set that up, return to the Campaign Builder and the Twitter account your want to use should now be available.