A powerful part of MailChimp is your list, which stores your contacts' email addresses and other valuable information.
In this article, you'll learn how to create a new list in your account.
On Nov. 3, 2017, we rolled out single opt-in to most MailChimp lists. If your primary contact address is inside the European Union, your lists remained double opt-in after the change.
This change only applies to MailChimp signup forms, so form integrations and API signup methods are unaffected.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- In MailChimp, lists are independent of one another, so bounces, unsubscribes, and abuse complaints are tracked on a per-list basis. As a result, we can't support global suppression lists. Learn how to create separate suppression lists.
- Email addresses that exist across multiple lists in your account will count multiple times toward the total subscriber count we use to determine your Monthly Plan.
- As a marketing automation platform that delivers emails, we comply with anti-spam laws and industry standards set by internet service providers and email clients. Make sure you're familiar with our anti-spam practices and list requirements before you begin this process.
- You can create as many lists as you need, but we recommend you use one master list. For more information on how to organize your list, review our best practices for list management.
Create a List
When you create a MailChimp account, we generate a list for you and populate it with details you provide. Each time you create a new list, you'll be prompted to input default information like your From email address and a message to remind your contacts who you are.
To create a new list in your MailChimp account, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- In the
New list or groups? box, click
- Type in the
List details in the fields provided.
Review the Contact information for this list, and edit if necessary.
In the Form Settings section, choose the signup method for your list.
Toggle the Double opt-in slider to the green checkmark to send an opt-in confirmation email when someone signs up to your list. Or, leave it unchecked to use single opt-in and add subscribers to your list right away.
- Enter the email address where you'd like to receive notifications about your list, and select your notifications.
- When you're finished, click Save.