Each MailChimp list comes with an associated signup form, which you can customize and share on your website and other networks. Forms use a single or double opt-in setting that determines what steps are taken before a contact is added to your email marketing list.
In this article, you'll learn how to choose opt-in settings for your list.
Before You Start
- Opt-in settings only apply to MailChimp signup forms, so form integrations and API opt-in are unaffected.
MailChimp lists are single opt-in by default—someone fills out and submits your form and they're added to your list right away. Double opt-in requires that people confirm their signup via email. Both methods are easy and secure options for growing your list, it's just a matter of deciding which one works best for your needs.
- If your primary contact address is in the EU, some of your lists may be double opt-in. If you prefer to use single opt-in, you can make that change in each list's settings or on the Opt-In Settings page.
For a New List
When you create a new list in MailChimp, you'll need to choose the opt-in setting you want to use for its associated signup forms.
To use double opt-in for a new list, be sure to enable it in the Form Settings. Check the box next to
Enable double opt-in to send the opt-in confirmation email each time someone signs up to your list. Leave the box unchecked to keep your list signle opt-in and add new subscribers right away.
For an Existing List
You can change the opt-in settings for an existing list at any time. Just visit the list's settings.
To change a list's opt-in settings, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with and choose Settings.
- Click List name & defaults.
Form Settings, check or uncheck the box next to
Enable double opt-in as needed.
- Click Save List and Campaign Defaults.
For Multiple Lists
If you have multiple lists to update, you can make changes globally on the Opt-In Settings page. Apply the same opt-in settings to all of your lists, or use a mix of opt-in methods.
To choose opt-in settings for multiple lists, follow these steps.
Navigate to the Lists page.
Click Opt-In Settings.
Check the box next to each list you want to use double opt-in.
The boxes next to lists you want to be single opt-in should remain unchecked.