MailChimp offers four different types of pricing plans: Forever Free, Monthly, Pay As You Go, and High Volume. Whether you have a large mailing list or you're just starting out, we have a pricing plan that will work for you.
Below, you'll learn about the different plan options to help you decide what will work best. If you still have questions, check out our plan features overview page for additional information. To help determine your monthly costs based on your subscriber volume and estimated emails per month, use our billing calculator.
MailChimp's Forever Free Plan allows you to send 12,000 total emails a month to up to 2,000 subscribers. This means you could send six times to 2,000 subscribers or 10 times to 1,200 subscribers at a time. However, you can only send up to 2,000 total e-mails in a 24-hour period.
When you reach 2,000 subscribers in your Forever Free Plan, you'll still be able to collect and import new subscribers and work on your campaigns and lists, but a hold will be placed on sending to your list or sending test emails until you upgrade to a paid plan or reduce your subscriber count to 2,000 or fewer total subscribers.
On the Forever Free Plan, you have access to all of our standard design, list management, campaign tracking and setup tools. We require all free accounts to include a MonkeyRewards badge in campaigns and signup forms.
The Monthly Plan is designed for users who send at least one campaign a month to their full list. Monthly billing is based on the total number of subscribers stored across all lists in your account. Each list in your account is independent, so a subscriber that exists across multiple lists in the account will count toward the total subscriber count multiple times.
If your total subscriber count is under 50,000, you can send as many campaigns as you need during your billing cycle. To estimate your costs for a Monthly Plan, use our billing calculator.
Billing occurs on the same day each month, on the date that you start the Monthly Plan. MailChimp automatically handles monthly billing and adjusts your billing tier as your list grows and shrinks. On your account's recurring billing date, we'll use the highest list total over the past 30–31 days to calculate the monthly charge.
Your monthly billing rate is determined by the highest number of subscribers you had in your account over the last 30–31 days, even if you've reduced that number recently. To downgrade to a lower monthly billing tier, you need to maintain the lower subscriber total for a complete billing cycle. The lower rate will appear at the end of that cycle.
Pay As You Go Plan
Our Pay As You Go Plan is designed for folks who send less frequently than once a month. Pay As You Go Plans allow you to purchase credits as needed and they do not expire.
If you're purchasing credits for a Pay As You Go Plan, you'll need to purchase enough credits to send to your entire list. Credits work like stamps, so you need one credit per email you send.
Test emails cost one credit for Pay As You Go plans, so it's a good idea to account for these when calculating how many credits you'll need. To estimate your costs for the Monthly or Pay As You Go Plans, use our billing calculator.
If you send millions of emails every month, we have a High-Volume Plan option. We'll need to see your past campaign history to check for clean lists and low bounce, unsubscribe, and spam complaint rates.
On the High-Volume Plan, if you go over the number of emails you're allotted to send to in a billing cycle, you'll automatically be bumped up to the pricing plan that meets the number of emails you need to send per month.
If you think you are eligible for the High-Volume Plan, contact our High-Volume Team.
Additional Pricing Information
- Pricing plans offer packages of advanced features. The plans cannot be combined or altered.
- If you purchase Pay As You Go credits while on the Forever Free Plan, you are immediately upgraded to a paid plan and any remaining Forever Free credits are not carried over. Forever Free credits are intended only for trial purposes or sending to 2,000 subscribers or fewer. If you're choosing a Monthly Plan, select the plan that matches your list size.
- If you're on a Monthly Plan and need to take a break from sending campaigns, you can pause the billing on your account. This temporarily stops your monthly billing cycle and disables sending privileges, but it leaves your account open so you can continue to work with campaigns, templates, lists, and reports.
- When you send to your list, you are charged for sending to email addresses that hard bounce. After the first send, we process these bounces for you and move them into the Cleaned section of your list. Any addresses stored in the Cleaned or Unsubscribed sections of your list will not be sent to and do not count toward your total subscriber count.
- We can't accommodate quarterly, semiannual, or annual payments. Payments are determined by monthly usage, which allows us to bill only for what you use and eliminates the need for contracts. For more pricing information, or to estimate your monthly costs, use our billing calculator.
- If you're a Pay As You Go user and upgrade to a Monthly plan, we’ll start the monthly billing process immediately. If you have remaining Pay As You Go credits, they’ll be converted into MonkeyRewards credits, which can be applied to the next monthly bill.
- If you're on a paid plan, you can downgrade to a Forever Free plan if you have fewer than 2,000 subscribers in your account. You can make this downgrade only once over the life of your account.
Any account that uses Google Authenticator will get a 10% discount just for being security conscious. Not a bad deal.