The entire double opt in and opt-out process can be translated into any of the more than 40 supported languages, or you can use our handy Auto-Translate option to translate your signup form and response emails based on your subscriber's browser language settings. You'll also be able to customize translations for any of the languages we support. Click here for more information on translating the MailChimp Signup Form Embed Code.
If you're looking to translate just your campaign content head over here to set that up.
How to translate your forms and response emails
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the Gear drop down and select the Forms option.
- Select the Translate It tab at the top of the form builder.
- Set the default language for your forms by selecting a language from the drop-down box. This is the language that will be displayed by default for all forms and response emails for this list only.
- By default, MailChimp provides translations for all of your forms in the languages we offer. If you're satisfied with the translations we provide, click Save & Exit. If not, see the section on customizing translations below.
If you'd like to modify any of the default translations we provide simply follow the steps below.
- Select the form you'd like to customize from the drop down menu.
- Select the language you want to customize from the secondary drop down menu.
- You can modify any of the translations by entering your preferred translation in the appropriate box. By default, we'll show you what the standard English text is for each so that you know which portion of the form you're translating.
- Click Save to save your customizations, or Reset to revert to your selected language's defaults. To ensure that your work is saved, be sure to click Save once you've finished translations for a particular language/form combination.
- Repeat for any other languages that you'd like to customize, and any other forms in the process that you'd like to customize.
- Click Save & Exit.
The Auto-Translation option is useful if you have a diverse subscriber base and need to accommodate multiple languages in a single form. When someone visits your signup form, we'll try to detect the default language of their browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc), and translate the pre-defined text into that language!
To enable the auto-translate option:
- Go to the Lists page in your account and click Forms for the list you're working with.
- Click the Translate It tab at the top of the form builder.
- Set the default language for your forms by choosing a language from the drop-down box, then check the box next to "Auto-Translate."
Now, if your form's default language is set to English but someone visits your signup form in a browser that's set to German, we'll show the pre-defined text in German:
When the same subscriber views the Signup Thank You Page, it will also appear in German! This display is unique to each visitor to your signup form, so different folks will see your forms and response emails in their browsers default language selection.
Additional Form Translations
It's important to note that only our pre-defined content is translated automatically. Your custom text such as field labels, header text, alt-text for images, and content you add or modify in editable text areas will not be translated automatically. You'll need to translate this content manually.
For example, when creating a signup form in MailChimp, you'll have the option to add more fields to your form in addition to the default "Email Address" field. When setting the field label, be sure to type the content in your own language. If my signup form is in Spanish, I'll probably want my field labels to be in Spanish as well. To edit your signup form's field labels:
- Go to the Lists page and click the Forms link for the list you're working with.
- From the Build It tab, click on the field you'd like to edit so that it's highlighted in yellow.
- Click on the Field Settings tab on the right hand side of the page.
- Under "Field Label" type the text in your own language.
- Click the "Save Field" button to save your changes.
- Follow the steps above to edit any additional field labels on your signup form.
Here's a list of the languages that we've already translated:
- French (France)
- French (Canada)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Portuguese (Portugal)
- Spanish (Mexico)
- Spanish (Spain)