Use A/B Split Testing To Improve Your Email Marketing Campaigns
What's the best day to send your email marketing campaign? Weekdays? Weekends? What time? Early morning, or late afternoon? What kind of subject line works best? Something with a hard sell? Or something more subtle and informative? Will people open your email if you include "FREE" in the subject line?
The only way to know for sure is to experiment with your campaigns. The most common way to experiment is to run an A/B split test.
A/B Split Test Ideas
Here are some quick ideas for A/B testing experiments that you can run on your email campaigns with MailChimp:
- What day of the week gets you better open rates?
- What time of day works best for your promotional (e-coupons, special sales, "act now!" etc) campaigns?
- What day/time works best for your informative "newsletter" campaigns?
- What subject line style works best? Hard sell? Soft sell?
- Should your subject line always include your company name? Or should it be a long, descriptive subject line detailing what's inside the message?
- Is it better to use your company's name in the "From" line, or a human's name?
- Does time of day affect overall click rate?
Running A/B split tests on your email marketing campaigns used to be pretty complicated. You had to setup "random slice" segments, create two campaigns, check stats, then send a final campaign. Most people barely have enough time to send one campaign, let alone two additional tests. Well, we just made A/B testing your email campaigns easy and automatic.
A/B Testing With MailChimp's Email Optimizer
With our patent-pending MailChimp Email Optimizer, you simply select the type of test you want to run, and the size of your sample groups. We take care of the rest, automatically. Learn how to use A/B testing with the MailChimp Email Optimizer.
Other A/B Split Resources:
- How to use A/B Split Testing to Increase Conversion Rates MarketingExperiments.com
- With A/B Testing, You don't think-you know - Jeff Campbell, Resolution Media
- How to Improve A/B Testing - Bryan Eisenberg
- Subject Line Testing Scenarios - A handful of very quick, easy subject line a/b tests you can run right now.
- Email Marketing Needs A/B Testing: A fan of ConstantContact.com discusses the need for A/B testing
- Testing and Email Marketing: A list of resources about testing your email marketing campaigns
- 10 Quick Wins for Email Marketing: #7 - Testing (tips from iMedia Connection)
- Incorporate Testing Into Your Game Plan: Blog post from David Baker at MediaPost
This feature is available to users with Author level or higher permissions. Take a look at this article to learn more about the different access levels for a MailChimp account.
A/B Split campaigns are an advanced feature available immediately for accounts on paid plans (monthly and pay as you go). On the Forever Free plan this feature will unlock automatically after a few campaigns have been sent and reports tracked.
- Can I tell which subscribers are in Groups A & B for an A/B Split campaign?
- How do I view the reports for my A/B split campaign?
- How can I run an A/B split test campaign on my content?
- On and A/B split test, which Group is the winner when there are no opens or clicks on the campaign?
- How do I create an A/B split campaign?