Our *|FORWARD|* merge tag automatically generates a link to your list's Forward to a Friend Form. When subscribers fill out the form, they can share your campaign with a friend, family member, or co-worker- as long as they know the recipient's email address. Below we'll show you how to add our *|FORWARD|* merge tag to your MailChimp campaigns.
- Add forward link using the link tool
- Add forward link in the source code
- Add forward link in your custom code
- Add forward link in a plain-text campaign
Add Forward link using the link tool
- Navigate to the Design step of the Campaign Builder.
- Click a text content block to edit it.
- Add the text you want to link, such as Forward to a Friend, and highlight it.
- Click the link button in the toolbar.
- Type or paste the *|FORWARD|* merge tag into the Web Address (URL) field.
- Click the Insert button to save the link.
- Click the Save & Close button in the content editor to save all changes.
Add forward link in the source code
- On the text block toolbar click the < > button to view the source code.
- Add the following code where you want your forward link to appear:
<a href="*|FORWARD|*">Forward</a> this email to a friend
- Click the < > button to return to the visual editor to review the design.
- Click Save & Close when you're done.
Add forward link in your custom code
If you've custom-coded a template or campaign, you can also add a Forward to a Friend link to your own HTML. Copy and paste the following code wherever you'd like the link to appear:
<a href="*|FORWARD|*">Forward this email to a friend</a>
Add forward link in a plain-text campaign
When editing a plain-text campaign, type the merge tag in as regular text. We'll populate the link automatically once your campaign sends. Here's an example: Here's an example:
Forward this email to a friend: *|FORWARD|*
This feature is available to users with Author level or higher permissions. Take a look at this article to learn more about the different access levels for a MailChimp account.
Our *|FORWARD|* merge tag will only work when the campaign is sent to a managed list. Until that point, you're in a draft or production mode and nothing has been saved to our servers just yet.