Every list you create in MailChimp has a unique address you can use to import an email from a regular email client. When you send to this unique email address, we'll save that email as a draft campaign in your account. From there you can send the campaign directly to your MailChimp list. While it's not possible to email an attachment to MailChimp to create a campaign, you can use the Email Beamer feature to send content to your MailChimp account. Below we'll walk you through how to set up and send a campaign to MailChimp using the Email Beamer option.
Email Beamer address
When sending an email from your email client into MailChimp, the list you want to send your campaign to dictates which unique email address is used. It's important to note that when beaming content into MailChimp it will only be accepted if it's sent from a verified domain. You need to verify the domain you are using for the Email Beamer before getting started. Once it's been verified follow the steps below to locate your list's email beamer address:
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click on the name of your list to open the list dashboard.
- Click the Settings drop down and select the Email Beamer option.
- Copy the email address displayed or click the Add Beamer address to your address book link to download a vcard for the address.
Creating and beaming your content
Design and create the email in your favorite email client (such as Outlook, Gmail, Apple Mail, etc.). When creating the email, be sure that all images and content are added directly to the body of the email and not as attachments. Once your design is ready, follow the steps below.
- Send the email from your email client to the list-specific email address. The subject line of this email will be used as the subject line for your campaign.
- You'll receive a confirmation email from MailChimp Account Services indicating your campaign has been received and a draft has been created in your account.
- To send your content as-is, reply to the confirmation email with the word Send and we'll go ahead and send it to your list.
If you want to make changes or edits to the draft, click the link in the confirmation email or log in to your MailChimp account. On the Campaigns page select the draft campaign titled "From Email: Subject Line" to open it up and start editing.
- On the Design step, click the Preview & Test button to Open Popup Preview or send a test email.
- Once you're satisfied with the way the HTML portion of your campaign looks, click the Plain-Text step in the progress bar or the Next button in the bottom right-hard corner to move forward.
- Use the Copy Text From HTML Email button to automatically generate the plain-text portion of your campaign.
- Once you've finalized the Plain-Text step, click the Confirm step in the progress bar or the Next button in the bottom right-hard corner.
- Click the Confirm step in the progress bar or the Next button in the bottom right-hard corner to move to the final step of the Campaign Builder. Use the pre-delivery checklist to review your campaign, send additional tests, and Send or Schedule Delivery of your campaign.
Helpful tips and tricks
From Name and address
We'll use the email address that you sent from as the from address, and the from name will be the name specified for that email account. These can be changed on the Setup step of the Campaign Builder along with other campaign info, tracking, and social networking options.
We'll automatically add our standard footer bar to the code for your campaign to ensure that you have an unsubscribe link and the Rewards Badge. If you'd like to remove other information from this footer, or modify it, you can do this on the Design step. Just be sure to leave the required information in place!
Keep your list-specific email address as secret as possible and don't post it on the web anywhere or share it with too many people. That way you'll avoid accidental campaigns being created in your account or any spam bots hitting that email address.
Content Created in Word
Word often adds extra junk code that can cause frustrating differences in how a campaign should look and how it actually looks. It's best to avoid pasting in content from Word and simply create the email entirely in your email program before beaming it over to MailChimp.
This feature is available to users with Manager level or higher access. Take a look at this article to learn more about the different access levels for a MailChimp account.
Campaigns sent to MailChimp via the Email Beamer can be edited prior to sending, but it's not possible to save them as templates for future campaigns. When you send your content to MailChimp be sure to include everything in the body of your email though because any attachments will be discarded.