SurveyMonkey has joined forces with MailChimp, making it easy for you to create a survey, send it to your list of MailChimp subscribers, and track the results.
- Set up the SurveyMonkey integration
- Send a survey
- View the SurveyMonkey report
- Segment list by SurveyMonkey activity
Setting up the integration
- Click your profile name to open the Account Panel and choose Account Settings.
- Click the Integrations option.
- Click the SurveyMonkey option.
- Click the Connect button.
- You'll be prompted to grant MailChimp access to your SurveyMonkey account. Click Authorize to proceed.
Once the integration is set up in MailChimp, you can send your survey from SurveyMonkey over to MailChimp to create a campaign. Check out SurveyMonkey's FAQs for specifics.
Sending a survey
- Once you've connected your MailChimp account to SurveyMonkey, head over to the Campaigns page in your MailChimp account and click the Create Campaign button to set up your new campaign.
- On the Template step, select the Themes templates tab.
- Click on the drop down menu and select the AutoConnect option.
- Select a SurveyMonkey template and choose the survey you'd like to send in the popup window.
- Customize your design and add your content on the Design step of the Campaign Builder before sending the survey to your list.
A link to the survey is automatically included in the campaign. When recipients receive the campaign, they can select the link to take the survey in a separate browser tab or window.
When replicating a campaign that contained a SurveyMonkey survey, be sure to reselect one of our predesigned SurveyMonkey templates on the Design step of the Campaign Builder. Click the Template step in the Campaign Builder, then choose the SurveyMonkey template and survey you'd like to use again. If the SurveyMonkey template is not reselected on a replicated campaign, the integration will not populate SurveyMonkey results in the MailChimp campaign report.
Viewing the SurveyMonkey report
Once you've sent your campaign, you can view the survey results in your SurveyMonkey account or in your MailChimp campaign report. Your MailChimp campaign report will include which survey was sent, when the survey stats were last updated, which subscribers the survey was sent to, and which subscribers completed, started, or have not started the survey. You can even view the survey responses for each subscriber!
To find your SurveyMonkey results in MailChimp:
- Navigate to the Reports page in your account.
- Click the title of a campaign with a SurveyMonkey survey.
- Click the Advanced option to see your survey results.
The SurveyMonkey Stats overview page includes survey stats and a direct URL to the survey. When your stats update, we detail the subscribers who have started or not started and who have completed and not completed the survey. Survey stats update every 3 hours for 7 days after the campaign is sent to your list. You can also update stats by clicking the Update Stats button.
On the completed survey, started survey and have not started survey tabs, there is a Send To This Segment button. This will let you send a campaign to this segment.
You can see the responses from your survey by clicking on a View Response button on the all recipients or completed survey tab. This will take you to your SurveyMonkey site.
If you're already in SurveyMonkey, you can click on the Analyze Results tab to look at your results. You can see the number of responses for each question and a summary of answers.
Once you send a campaign with SurveyMonkey integration, you can create segments based on whether your recipients interacted with your survey. Segmentation options include whether subscribers have started or not started your survey, and whether they have completed or not completed it. Learn more about using list segmentation.
This feature is accessible by users with Manager level or higher permissions. Take a look at this article to learn more about the different access levels for a MailChimp account.
While you're welcome to use any of our available templates when sending a SurveyMonkey survey, we strongly recommend using one of our predesigned SurveyMonkey templates. Using one of our SurveyMonkey AutoConnect templates is the only way SurveyMonkey results will populate in a MailChimp report.