This feature is accessible by users with Manager level or higher permissions. Take a look at this article to learn more about the different access levels for a MailChimp account.
Groups are a great tool for organizing the subscribers in your list for targeted communication. If you have multiple lists set up in your account instead of using groups, there's the possibility of ending up with duplicate subscribers across these lists. This can result in a higher overall subscriber count and potentially a larger monthly plan. Using groups instead of multiple lists makes it easier to manage and can save you money!
With MailChimp you can set up as many lists as you need, but if you're not an agency or if you're just looking to do some targeted marketing with segmenting, you may not need that many separate lists. It's almost always best to keep one list and use Groups and segmenting as much as possible. Take a look at this article for more information on list management.
When you add Groups to your list, you can select an option for how the Groups will appear on your signup form, or select the option to not display them. When people sign up for your list they can select the group, or groups, they want to join. Below we'll walk you through two different ways to add Groups to your list.
Add Groups to your list on the Lists page
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click on the list drop down menu next to the Stats button for the list you want to add groups to and select Manage Subscribers.
- On the Manage Subscribers page click the Groups option.
- Click the Create Groups button to expand the group options.
- Select an option for how the Groups will appear on your signup form, or select the option to not display them.
- Next, create a Group title and at least one Group name. The Group Title serves as an overall category for your groups in order to keep similar options together. It's best to choose something descriptive, like "What's your favorite food?", and then use the group name to display the different options.
- To add more group names click the + Add Group button.
- Click the Save button when you've added all the information.
- A success message will appear and you can choose to Import To These Groups or click Done For Now.
Add Groups to your list through the signup form
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click on the list drop down menu next to the Stats button for the list you want to add groups to and select Signup forms.
- Select General forms.
- Confirm you're on the Build It tab.
- Select the type of Group you want (Radio Buttons, Check Boxes, or Drop Down) from among the field types on the Add a field tab to the right of the signup form.
- Your field settings will appear on the right. Set your preferences for the field and click the Save Field button.
- The new field will now be saved to your signup form.
When you add a field to a form, the Radio Buttons and Drop Drop options can be used as a regular field or as a Group. To convert the newly created field to a Group click the Convert to Groups button on the field settings tab.
Group fields can not be set to required for a sign up form. The logic in our database is such that Groups shouldn't be required because they are considered to be a list of options or interests for segmenting and it is valid for someone to have no interests. If you are an advanced user or have a developer that can help out, a required Groups field could be custom coded using the Advanced forms option(available only to paid accounts) in your account.