Use MailChimp’s A/B Split Campaign feature to send two different versions of your campaign to see which performs best. Learn how your subscribers react to different factors and use this information to increase engagement with your campaigns.
Below, you’ll learn how to create an A/B Split Campaign, manually choose the winner, and view the results for each version of the campaign.
In this article:
Create a Campaign
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click the
Create Campaign drop-down menu, and choose
A/B Split Campaign.
- On the
A/B Split step, select an option under
What would you like to test?
If you chose Subject lines or From names, click and drag the handle under How should we split the campaign? to specify the percentage of your list to use for testing. The remaining portion will receive the winning version.
Under How should a winner be chosen?, choose if you want the winner to be picked by highest open rate, click rate, or manually.
Delivery date/times splits the list in two equal groups and the winner is determined by open rate. You’ll choose the send times on the Confirm step of the Campaign Builder.
- Click Next to go to the Recipients step. Choose the list or segment to receive your campaign. The subscribers who are in each split test group are chosen randomly, and there is not an option to choose who is in each group. When you’ve selected your recipients, click Next to proceed to the Setup step.
- Set your campaign
From name, tracking options, and more. If you are testing
Subject lines, you’ll see two fields for the
If you are testing From names, there will be two fields each for From name and From email address.
- Click Next to choose your template from the Templates step.
- Click Next to go to the Design step. The same campaign content will go to both groups, unless you use our A/B merge tags to test content. When your design is how you want, click Next to go to the Confirm step.
- Review your campaign details and go back to make changes if needed. If you’re testing
Subject lines or
From names, you can click the
Send Now button or schedule your campaign to send later. If you’re testing
Delivery date/times, click the
Schedule button under the Pre-delivery Checklist, and choose your date/times before clicking the
Schedule Campaign button.
- If a subscriber views the campaign archive page by clicking the View in browser link on the campaign in their email inbox, they will see the version they received. This means that subscribers in group A will see version A, and subscribers in group B with see version B, regardless of which campaign is ultimately the winner.
- Until a winner is chosen, campaigns auto-posted to social sites or shared will initially show version A. If version B turns out to be the winner, it will show instead.
- Campaigns sent to a 50/50 split will always show version A.
Manually Choose the Winner
- On the
A/B Split step of the Campaign Builder click the drop-down menu under
How should a winner be chosen?, and select
- After a day or so, when the test campaigns have sent and subscribers have had time to engage with them, come back to the Reports page and click on the title of your A/B Split Campaign.
- Click the
A/B split results tab to view a side-by-side rundown of your campaign’s stats.
- At the bottom of the
A/B split results page, click
Pick Group A or
Pick Group B to send the winning campaign to the rest of your list.
- Navigate to the Reports page in your account.
- Click the title of the A/B Split Campaign you want to view.
- Click the
A/B split results tab.
On the results page, there is a side-by-side rundown of each version’s statistics. If there is a winning group, it will be noted under the table.
Currently, exported A/B Split Campaign reports don't include the A/B split results section. One option to view the A/B split result section outside of your MailChimp account is to create a PDF from the A/B split result webpage.
|Was this article helpful?||
|What can we do to improve your experience with articles like this?|
At this time, we are unable to reply to any responses,but we'll use this information to keep the site up-to-date.