In this article, you'll learn about the different types of content blocks and their uses, how to rearrange them in your layout, how to change the Style and Settings for a content block, and what to expect when you view your drag-and-drop campaign on a mobile device.
Content Block Types
There are several different content blocks that you can use to customize your campaign layout.
- Text – Add text, upload images, and wrap text around an image.
- Boxed Text – Add text within a border, and choose a background color to display behind the text.
- Divider – Add a horizontal line between content blocks.
- Image – Upload an image to a campaign.
- Image Group – Upload multiple images to a campaign.
- Image Card – Upload an image and add a caption within a border, and choose a unique background color to display behind the image and caption.
- Image + Caption – Upload an image with a caption to the left, right, or bottom.
- Social Share – Add social icons to allow recipients to share your campaign on sites such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Social Follow – Add social icons so recipients can follow you or your company on sites such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Button – Add a button that links to a website or file for download.
- Footer – Add our default footer to your campaign.
- RSS Header – Pull in *|RSSFEED:|* tags for your feed automatically. Only available for RSS campaigns.
- RSS Items – Pull in *|RSSITEM:|* tags for your feed automatically. Only available for RSS campaigns.
- Code – Add custom HTML to further personalize your campaign.
- Product Recommendation- Add product recommendations based on your subscribers' past purchases.
- Product - Add any product from a connected store to your campaign.
Code your own templates do not include Email Designer drag-and-drop content blocks. If our template language is included in your custom-coded template, you can use repeatable and variant content blocks to customize your campaign.
Our responsive templates will not constrain images that are not in an Image, Image Group, Image Card, or Image + Caption content block. Large images that are added to a text block may stretch your layout when viewed on mobile.
Move Content Blocks
Content blocks can be dragged vertically or horizontally within the template to mix up the layout and the design. To move blocks, click and hold the drag handle in the top left of the content block, then move it wherever you'd like it to go.
When you move content blocks, MailChimp overlays your campaign with section labels, like header, body, column, and footer. The section label highlights to blue when you move a content block into its section, making it clear where in the layout you're dropping the block. Blocks moved into a different section take on any style preferences you've chosen in the settings for that section of the campaign.
Delete a Content Block
To permanently delete a content block, follow the steps below.
- Click the block you want to delete. A menu bar will appear at the top of the content block.
- Click the Trash icon.
Style and Settings
Use the Style and Settings tabs to customize the design of individual content blocks in your campaign. Select a content block to bring up its editing window, and choose the Style or Settings tabs to make changes.
Campaign layouts are divided into sections, such as the header, body, or footer. When content blocks are added to a section of the campaign, we apply any of that section's set style preferences to the content blocks. Styling changes—like font, font size, and more—can also be made for an individual content block in the content block’s Style tab.
Change the Settings for the content blocks for additional customization options, like setting a content block to two columns or choosing where a text caption will appear in relation to an image.
Each content block type has different Style and Settings options, so try a few to see which best achieves the design you're looking for.