This feature requires Author user level or higher.
MailChimp offers two ways to provide a file to your subscribers when they sign up for your list. Since we don't allow attachments, we give you the option to upload your report, MP3, video, or other file type directly to our servers. We host the files for you, so you can link to the files for download in your newsletter.
In this article, you'll learn about the two options to send a file to new subscribers.
Add File to the Final Welcome Email
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Select the drop-down menu for your list, and click
- Select General forms to open up the Form Builder.
- Select the
Final welcome email from the
forms and response emails drop-down menu near the top of the page.
- While on the Build it tab, click inside the red dashed lines to open the editor.
- Type some text, like "Download your free song," and highlight it. Then, click the Link icon. In the Insert or Edit Link modal, choose File from the drop-down menu and upload your file, and click Insert.
- When your content is how you want, click Save & Close to return to the Form Builder.
To test the file you added to the final welcome email, you'll have to go through the double-opt in process. Select Signup form from the Forms and response emails drop-down menu to find your signup form URL.
If you don't want the final welcome email to send to your list, it can be turned off.
Add File to Automated Email
Automation is a feature that sends an email or email series to your subscribers when they meet a trigger event. Below, you'll learn how to create an automation to send a file to subscribers when they subscribe to your list.
- Navigate to the Automation page.
- Click the Add Automation button to build an automation email or click the name of an existing automation to edit it.
- Continue to the Emails step to add emails to your automation.
- Click Design Email or Edit to design the emails in your automation.
- Upload your file to our server.
- Add your text and images, and create the link to your file.
- Click Save & Close.
- Finish configuring your automation and click Start Workflow.
When the next person signs up on your list, they'll receive your automated email or email series with linked files to download.
Automation settings are directly linked to the list you are sending to. Once you click Start Workflow, you won't be able to edit the list, automation type, or email order. You can still edit content, however. To make changes to uneditable portions of an automation, replicate your automation and reconfigure the new copy.