This feature requires Author user level or higher.
When you use MailChimp's Campaign Builder to create a campaign, you'll select a campaign type, add recipients, choose a template, and add your own content.
Below, you'll learn how to create a campaign in MailChimp.
Create a Campaign
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click Create Campaign in the upper-right corner of the screen to create a Regular Campaign.
- On the Recipients step, select the list or list segment you want to send your campaign to. If you are sending to a segment, you can configure a new segment on this screen, or choose a saved segment.
- To proceed, click Next or Setup in the progress bar.
- On the Setup step, input your Email subject, From name, and From email address. Select tracking tools, connect social media, and configure advanced settings from the available options. When you're finished, click Template or Next in the progress bar.
- On the
Template step, select one of the following options to create and add your content.
- On the Basic tab, you can choose from flexible Drag and Drop templates.
- Click Themes to select from our predesigned layouts.
- The Saved Templates tab allows you to select from any templates you've previously saved or imported.
- Campaigns lets you reuse one of your recently sent or draft campaigns for your current campaign. The Recently Sent section displays up to 25 campaigns most recently sent from your account. Only draft campaigns with content appear in the Drafts section.
- The Code Your Own tab displays three ways to import a campaign layout from outside of MailChimp: Paste in code, Import from Zip, and Import from URL.
- In the Design step, you'll input and customize your campaign content.
- Click the
Preview and Test drop-down menu to
Enter Preview Mode,
Send a Test Email,
Push to MailChimp Mobile,
Open Link Checker, customize
Social Cards, or
Run Inbox Inspection.
- Click the x in the top-right corner of the screen to return to the Design step.
- Once you're satisfied with your design, click Next or Confirm in the progress bar.
- Review the Pre-Delivery Checklist on the
Confirm step. Click
Resolve to navigate directly to the step to fix any errors that may appear. To make other changes, click the
Edit button to return to a step.
You can also view and edit the automatically generated plain-text version of your campaign by clicking the Edit button in the Plain-Text Email section of the checklist.
- When you've finished
testing your campaign, you can either send the campaign immediately, or
schedule it to go out at another time.
If you're ready to send the campaign to your subscribers, click the Send button. The Prepare for launch modal will appear. To confirm your send, click Send Now. Your campaign is on its way!
Tips for Designing Your Campaign
When you send a campaign through MailChimp, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind while creating your content.
- Each recipient on your MailChimp list is hidden from all the other recipients. We deliver a completely separate copy of your email to each receipent, so you can personalize your content for everyone. This also allows us to track clicks and opens.
- Be sure to test your campaign before you send to your entire list. For the best possible result, we recommend sending tests to all the popular web-based email services, like Yahoo!, Hotmail, and Gmail. You can also use the Inbox Inspector tool to preview how your email will appear in multiple clients.
- MailChimp automatically includes both an HTML version and a plain-text alternative version for each of your subscribers. This ensures your subscribers view your content as expected, regardless of the email client or program they use.
- MailChimp is designed to send email campaigns that contain HTML code and plain-text content. It's possible to use other types of code, but we advise against it. For example, Flash is not supported in most email programs. The best way to send Flash content is to use an image in your campaign, and link the image to the Flash content hosted on an external server or website.