This feature requires Manager user level or higher.
MailChimp for Salesforce is an app that you install in your Salesforce account, which syncs data with MailChimp. Connect the app to quickly pass your sales leads and contacts to MailChimp, so you can target them with specialized email content.
In this article, you’ll learn how to connect MailChimp for Salesforce and set up the application to sync information with your MailChimp account.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you connect MailChimp for Salesforce.
- MailChimp for Salesforce requires a Group, Professional, Enterprise, Unlimited, Force.com, Developer, or Performance edition of Salesforce.
- MailChimp for Salesforce only allows you to connect your Salesforce account with a single MailChimp account.
- To ensure a successful connection, we recommend you complete installation all at once. If you need to complete installation in separate steps, click the Apps drop-down menu and choose MailChimp for Salesforce. Click the MC Setup tab to resume installation.
Install MailChimp for Salesforce
First, you’ll need to install the MailChimp for Salesforce app in your Salesforce account.
To install MailChimp for Salesforce, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the MailChimp for Salesforce AppExchange listing.
- Click Get it Now.
- Click Log in to the AppExchange.
- Click Install in production.
- On the
Package Installation Details page, check the box next to
I have read and agree to the terms and conditions, and click
Confirm and Install!
Install for All Users, and click
- In the Approve Third-Party Access pop-up modal, check the box next to Yes, grant access to these third-party web sites and click Continue.
Installation may take a few moments to complete, and Salesforce will notify you by email after it’s finished. After you complete installation, you’ll be taken to the MailChimp for Salesforce Install Wizard, where you’ll authenticate your MailChimp account.
- Not all MailChimp for Salesforce features are supported by the Salesforce Sandbox. If you choose to use the app in the Salesforce Sandbox, data will not sync properly to MailChimp.
- To ensure the app functions as expected, we recommend you Install in production and that you choose the Install for All Users option.
Step 1: Authenticate
Before you can create leads or sync data, you’ll need to connect your MailChimp account to Salesforce. This process is known as authentication.
To authenticate your MailChimp account, follow these steps.
- Log into your Salesforce account.
- Click the
Apps drop-down menu and choose
MailChimp for Salesforce.
- Click the
MC Setup tab.
- Click Login.
- In the pop-up window, click OK.
- Input your MailChimp username and password and click Log In.
If you manage multiple MailChimp accounts, choose the account you want to connect to Salesforce. Now that you’ve authenticated MailChimp, you’re ready to set up lead creation.
Step 2: Lead Creation
Lead creation allows MailChimp to create Salesforce leads from your MailChimp subscribers who aren’t already Salesforce leads or contacts.
To allow MailChimp to create leads, follow these steps.
- Check the box next to Allow MailChimp to create Leads in Salesforce?
I am Ready to Map Fields.
If you don’t want to allow lead creation at this time, click I am Ready to Map Fields to move to the next step. If you choose to not to allow lead creation, MailChimp for Salesforce won’t create leads from your existing MailChimp subscribers. Only subscribers added to your list after lead creation is enabled will be added as leads in Salesforce.
Step 3: Map Fields
We need you to tell us which Salesforce data fields to map to your MailChimp list fields, so that we can be sure to sync information to the correct place. You can choose to map Salesforce fields to your existing MailChimp lists fields or add additional fields.
To map your fields, follow these steps.
- Click the drop-down menus under
Salesforce Contact field and
Salesforce Lead field to match them to an existing
- Click Save.
You’ll be prompted to map fields for every MailChimp list in the connected account. If you don’t want to map fields for a particular list, click Save to move ahead in the process.
Add a New List Field
If you have a contact or lead field that doesn’t match one of your existing MailChimp fields, you can choose to add a new field to your MailChimp list.
To add a new MailChimp list field, follow these steps.
- Click the Add a new list field? drop-down menu to choose a field type.
- Input a field label.
- Check the box next to Field is required, if needed.
- Click Add Field.
Repeat these steps for each new field you want to add to a list.
After you complete this step, you’ll exit the Install Wizard and be taken to the MC Setup page. Here you’ll choose sync settings for your lists and turn on hourly sync to share data between Salesforce and MailChimp.
Choose Sync Settings
MailChimp data can potentially take up a lot of space in your Salesforce account. If you exceed Salesforce data limits, certain MailChimp for Salesforce features may not function as expected. To prevent this, choose settings to determine which MailChimp lists you want to sync, to only sync subscribers from a particular list, or to limit how long MailChimp activity is stored in Salesforce. When you choose your sync settings, you can also decide which MailChimp lists you want to allow to create leads in Salesforce.
To choose sync settings for your lists, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the MC Setup page.
MailChimp Settings, click
- In the MailChimp Lists section, click the Sync Setting drop-down menu to choose an option for each connected list.
- If you want to create new Salesforce leads from your MailChimp subscribers, check the box next to Allow MailChimp to create Leads in Salesforce?
- Check the box next
Create Leads from MC? for each list you want to create leads from.
- Click Save.
Turn On Hourly Sync
After you’ve chosen your sync settings, turn on hourly sync to make sure that MailChimp and Salesforce communicate and share data regularly.
To turn on hourly sync, follow these steps.
MailChimp Settings, click
Turn On Hourly Sync.
- In the pop-up modal, click Sync Anyway if you’re finished.
View Hourly Sync Status
An initial hourly sync may sometimes take a few hours to complete, especially if you a sync a large MailChimp list. To check the status of your hourly sync, visit the Monitor section of your Salesforce account and view Apex or Scheduled Jobs.
After MailChimp for Salesforce is connected, use the Query Builder and Campaign Builder to add leads and contacts as subscribers in MailChimp, and to create MailChimp campaigns inside MailChimp for Salesforce.
You can also choose to customize the application to better manage MailChimp data in Salesforce and allow other users access to MailChimp for Salesforce features in your Salesforce account.