This feature requires Manager user level or higher.
MailChimp offers several ways to add subscribers to your list. You can import subscribers from a CSV, TXT or Excel file to a new list or an existing one, or import new subscriber data to update an existing list.
In this article, you'll learn how to import subscribers from a CSV, TXT, or Excel file, and how to match and format fields in your list.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- To import subscribers, you need a list in your account. Create a new list or back up your existing list before you make changes.
- Errors can occur if your list is not set up properly. Be sure to review our field format guidelines before you import your list.
- This process outlined in this article imports subscribed email addresses. To import a suppression list, you'll import addresses to the Unsubscribed section of your list.
- Other ways to import subscribers in MailChimp include: built-in integrations, third-party integrations, and via API.
Import From a CSV, TXT, or Excel File
To upload your contacts from a CSV, tab-delimited text, or Excel file, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with, and choose
CSV or tab-delimited text file to import from a file
, or choose
Copy/Paste from file to use Excel.
If you've previously imported to your list, you'll see an option to Use settings from last import.
- Click Next.
- To upload a CSV or TXT file, click
Browse and choose the file from your computer. To import from Excel,
copy and paste your contacts into the field provided.
- Check the box next to I understand that my billing plan may be automatically upgraded. Your account will only be upgraded if your list import causes your subscriber count to exceed your current billing plan.
Next to move on to the
Import Subscribers step and match the columns in your list import to the columns in your MailChimp list.
If you chose to use settings from a previous import, we'll automatically match and skip columns based on your last import. Review your columns and make any desired changes, then click Next and skip to Step 12 to review your import.
Save for the
Email Address column. We automatically match the column in your import that contains email addresses to the required Email Address field in your list.
- On the second column, click
Save, or click the drop-down menu to select a different field. To create a new column in your list, choose
New Column Name.
The editing pane for each column includes the current column name, field type, and example data from your list, for reference. You can click Skip to move over a column and exclude it from the final import. This will not remove a column that already exists in your list.
- Repeat step 9 for all unmatched columns. You must match or skip all columns to complete your import. We'll display a success message when you've either matched or skipped all your columns.
Click Next to review your final import settings.
- On the
You're all set to import screen, review the settings for your import. We'll display the method you chose for your import and the number of columns you matched. You can click
Details to view which columns you matched to fields in your list, or
Edit to make changes.
If you want to use your import to update information for existing subscribers, click the Auto-update my existing list checkbox.
- After you've reviewed your settings, click Import.
After you finish your import, you'll be taken to the
View subscribers page for your list. We'll display a status message to show you the progress of your import.
You can navigate away from your list and work on something else while you wait. We'll email you when your list import is complete, and display a success notification on the View subscribers page.
- Contacts are imported to the Subscribed list by default. To import a suppression list, you'll need to change this setting.
- List import notification emails are sent from email@example.com. If don't receive these notifications, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book.
About the Auto-Update Option
Auto-update my existing list option to update existing subscriber information in your MailChimp list with new data in your import file.
Auto-update replaces the column data in your list with the column data in your list import, so you can quickly update information from your CRM or other database. But keep in mind that if any fields are blank in your import file, you'll overwrite the column data in your list with blanks and lose the old information.
For Auto-update to work properly, verify your subscriber data is up-to-date on your import, and that the column names in your import match the column names in your MailChimp list.
After You Import
After you’ve completed your list import, it’s a good idea to review your field formatting to make sure everything imported correctly before you send to your list.
To view the List fields and *|MERGE|* tags page for your list, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with, and choose Settings.
- Click List fields and *|MERGE|* tags.
- Review your list fields and make any desired changes to your field settings and default merge tags.