This feature requires Manager user level or higher.
To protect against accidentally re-adding invalid, stale, or cleaned subscribers to your active list, you can import contacts as Unsubscribed to create a suppression list.
Each list in your MailChimp account is separate from the others, so your suppression list won't be global. You'll need to create a separate suppression list for each list in your account.
Below you'll learn how to set up a suppression list from a CSV TXT, or Excel file.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- To complete this process, you'll need to use an existing list in your account, or create a new list.
- Suppression lists only need an email address field. Make sure your file is does not contain additional fields or subscriber information before you import.
- It's important to carefully follow these steps, and only import suppression lists to the Unsubscribed section in your account. If you need to import active subscribers, import to the Subscribed section. Do not import active subscribers into the Unsubscribed or Cleaned sections.
Import a Suppression List
To import a suppression list, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to create a suppression list for, and choose
CSV or tab-delimited text file to import from a CSV file or
tab-delimited text file, or click
- Click Next.
- To upload a CSV or TXT file, click Browse and choose the file from your computer. To import from Excel, copy and paste your contacts into the field provided.
- Click the
I understand that my billing plan may be automatically upgraded checkbox. This only applies to active subscriber imports. Your suppression list will not affect your
- Click Next to review your import.
- On the
You're all set to import screen, review the settings for your import, then click
Unsubscribed under the
Categorize your imported subscribers as heading. Do not check the
Auto-update my existing list box.
We'll display the method you chose for your import and a notification that your import only contains one column. You can click Edit to need to make changes.
- Click Import.
We'll display a success message at the top of the
View subscribers page to let you know your suppression list has been imported.
To view your suppression list at any time, navigate to the View subscribers page for your list, then click on the Subscribed drop-down menu, and choose Unsubscribed.