Our *|UNSUB|* merge tag automatically generates a link to your MailChimp-hosted Unsubscribe form. All campaigns sent via MailChimp are required to include an unsubscribe link so subscribers can opt out of receiving your emails if they choose. If the *|UNSUB|* merge tag is not included in your campaign, we will add a gray footer to your campaign with the required footer information.
Below, we show you how to add our required *|UNSUB|* merge tag to any editable text area in your MailChimp campaigns.
In this article:
- Add unsubscribe link using the link tool
- Add unsubscribe link in the source code
- Add unsubscribe link in your custom code
- Add unsubscribe link in a plain-text campaign
Add unsubscribe link using the link tool
- Navigate to the Design step of the Campaign Builder.
- Click a text content block to edit it.
- Add the text you want to link, such as Unsubscribe from this list, and highlight it.
- Click the link button in the toolbar.
- Type or paste the *|UNSUB|* merge tag into the
Web Address (URL) field.
- Click the Insert button to save the link.
- Click the Save & Close button in the content editor to save all changes.
Add unsubscribe link in the source code
If you're more comfortable working with the underlying code of a MailChimp campaign, you can add the unsubscribe link directly in the HTML for a given editable area.
- On the text block toolbar, click the
< > button to view the source code.
- Add the following code where you want your unsubscribe link to appear:
<a href="*|UNSUB|*">Unsubscribe from this list </a>
- Click the < > button to return to the visual editor to review the design.
- Click Save & Close when you're done.
Add unsubscribe link in your custom code
If you've custom-coded a template or campaign, you can also add an unsubscribe link to your own HTML. Copy and paste the following code wherever you'd like the link to appear:
Add unsubscribe link in a plain-text campaign
When editing a plain-text campaign, type the merge tag in as regular text. We'll populate the link automatically once your campaign sends. Here's an example:
Our *|UNSUB|* merge tag will only work when the campaign is sent to a managed list. Until that point, you're in a draft or production mode and nothing has been saved to our servers just yet.
|Was this article helpful?||
|What can we do to improve your experience with articles like this?|
At this time, we are unable to reply to any responses, but we'll use this information to keep the site up-to-date.